Re: [Phys-l] defn of capacitance

On 02/11/2008 03:24 PM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
I don't understand. I see two different questions:

Agreed. There are two different questions ... and the
following is a good way to untangle things:

1) Given the matrix Cij, can one find its inverse (call it Xij) , such that
the matrix product C*X yields the identity matrix? This is the problem of
inverting a MATRIX.

2) Given the matrix Cij such that Qi = Cij Vj , can one detemine the
matrix Pij such that Vi = Pij Qj ? This is the problem of inverting a
MATRIX EQUATION.

Are you saying connecting/equating these two problems ?

I hope I'm not equating them.

Here's how I would say it:

1) In one direction, we have not just a linear equation, but a
*system* of linear equations:
Vi = Pij Qj + G [1a]
∑ Qj = 0 [1b]

where G expresses gauge invariance and where equation [1b]
expresses charge neutrality. Note that G means equation [1a]
is a linear equation but not simply a proportionality.
Having valid values for Pij does not suffice to tell the
whole story.

Beware there are conflicting definitions of "linear"
http://www.av8n.com/physics/weird-terminology.htm#main-linear

2) In the other direction, things are simpler:
Qi = Cij Vj [2]

If you have valid values for Cij, the internal structure
of Cij implements gauge invariance and charge neutrality,
so no additional equations are necessary.

3) Summarizing item (1) and item (2): the role of Pij is
not the mirror image of the role of Cij.

4) Note that equation [1b] effectively reduces the dimensionality
of the problem by one. The mapping in equation [1a] is
singular (non-invertible) when considered a mapping in N
dimensions, but is nonsingular when considered a mapping
in N-1 dimensions (if we ignore G).

This probably isn't the end of the story. I need to think
about this some more. I've never had to worry about Pij
before; Cij has always been sufficient for my needs.