Re: [Phys-l] defn of capacitance

On 02/06/2008 02:44 PM, Carl Mungan wrote:

My initial stab at a definition was the following: ....
Q is the absolute value of the average difference in charges of
the two plates (ie. half of the difference in charges on the two
plates).

You're not going to be very happy with that definition.
For starters, the "absolute value" is going to mess
things up. For capacitors, V versus Q is linear.
Absolute value is not linear.

Please fix my definition of C for the case of two isolated conductors
in vacuum carrying charges which are not necessarily equal and
opposite.

It turns out that capacitance is, in general, a _matrix_.

In some situations it reduces to a 1x1 matrix, so it looks
like a scalar ... but this ain't one of those situations.

The relevant equation is
Qi = Cij Vj

This equation and the underlying physics is discussed at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/laplace.html#q_of_v