To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] defn of capacitance

On 02/11/2008 02:12 PM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
Wangness' text "Electromagnetic Fields" begins with Vi = Pij Qj , shows
that the Pij's are functions only of geometry, and finishes his treatment by
asking the reader (in an end of chapter problem) to show that this can be
inverted to yield Qi=Cij Vj . Your paragraph 1.7 seems to say that this is
impossible. . . What am I misunderstanding?

I said Cij is not invertible. No doubt about that.

Inverting Pij is a lot easier than inverting Cij.

Cij has to enforce gauge invariance and charge
neutrality; Pij doesn't.

Starting from Pij seems like a cop-out. It solves
the easy, unimportant half of the problem, and conceals
the difficulty and importance of the other half of the
problem. In real world applications, such as Laplace
equation solvers, you start with fixed potentials and
solve for the charge distribution, not vice versa so
you naturally get a Cij matrix ... and if you need to
find an inverse (one of the all-too-many inverses),
you can't just plug Cij into your spreadsheet's matrix-
inversion routine. You have to be smart about it. I
explain how to do this at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/capacitance.htm#sec-inverse-cap