Re: [Phys-l] defn of capacitance

I'll respond to what was in today's digest on this topic:

[JohnD] The relevant equation is
Qi = Cij Vj

This equation and the underlying physics is discussed at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/laplace.html#q_of_v

An assumption of global charge neutrality appears to be embedded in there. I have two isolated conductors with Qa not equal to -Qb. Charge isn't overall neutral (excluding charges at infinity - mentioned at the end of this message).

In any case, that aside, I would be glad if you could actually demonstrate how to use the formula to calculate a standard two-conductor capacitor. I'm interested in learning how capacitance matrices work, as I don't fully get it yet. If my request is too trivial, feel free to do a simple three-conductor example.

[Brian] Capacitance is the property of a two terminal device to store
external electrical charge whose magnitude is measured by the reciprocal
of the rate of change of voltage difference between
the terminals, which is proportional to the amplitude of a constant current
impressed between the terminals.

Sounds reasonable. Can you actually lay out the calculations for the two example cases I proposed? Show me the money.

[JohnM] There was a discussion on Phys-L back in March of 1997 that began with a question from Ludwik titled "How many volts?" and led into this same territory.

<https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/1997/03_1997/msg00476.html>

WOW! How can you remember something like that from over a decade ago? I'm impressed.

[Alphonsus] Actually, I guess your question is related to the "Physics Challenge".

If you mean the one on page 119 of TPT Feb 2008, I admit I wasn't relating my question to that. When I solved that Challenge, I used the standard infinite-plate approximations.

[Mark] In your spherical capacitor example, you have to distinguish between the charge on the inner surface of the outer sphere, and the charge on the outer surface. The charge on the inner surface of the outer sphere will adjust itself to be equal to -Qa, since there can be no electrostatic field within the metal of the outer sphere. The capacitance between the inner surface of the outer sphere and the inner sphere, which is a purely geometric parameter, won't change.

But, since in this case the outer sphere is "floating" and has an excess charge on its outer surface, there also will be a capacitance between the outer surface of the outer sphere and infinity.

GREAT, a concise answer and evidently consistent with the 1997 PHYS-L discussion. Thank you!

Following Mark's logic, here are what I come up with as the answers for the two examples I cited. If anything is wrong, please chime in:

1. Two parallel plates, charge Qa on the left plate and Qb on the right plate each of area A. Say Qa>Qb for specificity.

between the plates E = Qa/2*A*e - Qb/2*A*e where e=1/4*pi*k
so delta(V) = (Qa-Qb)*d/2*A*e where d=distance between plates
choose +/- Q=(Qa-Qb)/2 on the inner faces of the plates so that E=0 inside either plate [this leaves Q' = (Qa+Qb)/2 on the outer face of each plate]
conclude C=Q/delta(V)=A*e/d as usual

2. Two concentric spheres, an inner one of radius a and an outer one of radius b. Place charge Qa on the inner one and Qb on the outer one. Again say Qa>Qb for specificity.

between the spheres E = k*Qa/r^2 independent of Qb
so delta(V) = k*Qa*(b-a)/a*b
choose +/- Q=Qa on the facing surfaces of the spheres [this leaves Qb+Qa on the outer face of the outer sphere]
conclude C=Q/delta(V)=a*b/k*(b-a) as usual

In both cases, there are thus additional capacitances between the outer surfaces (of the plates or sphere) and infinity, assuming we wish to imagine opposite charge "at infinity" to satisfy overall charge neutrality as per JSD.

I guess the only final detail I wish to sew up to close this topic in my mind is whether there is a simple formula that gives Q in general. We notice that in case 1, my assumption that Q is half the charge difference between the plates is correct. My mistake was trying to do the same in case 2. I'm now wondering whether there could be cases where it's not obvious what Q to use. If I'm worried about nothing, feel free to tell me as much! Thanks to everyone, Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002