Re: [Phys-l] defn of capacitance

This is a really important thread. There is some deep and
beautiful physics involved.

On 02/06/2008 11:10 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

There was a discussion on Phys-L back in March of 1997 that began
with a question from Ludwik titled "How many volts?" and led into
this same territory.

See

<https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/1997/03_1997/msg00476.html>

and the subsequent discussion.

That's true ... but IMHO that is a long, confused, and confusing
discussion, so rather than ask each phys-l subscriber to wade
through it I will try to summarize the high points.

1) There was a long discussion of how to solve a specific problem.
Only at the end did the discussion segue to how to understand the
basic physics. To make a long story short, the solution for this
whole class of problems is to consider the _capacitance matrix_
so that
Qi = Cij Vj [1]

as in http://www.av8n.com/physics/laplace.htm#eq-q-of-v

Note that equation [1] is a linear equation.

2) Symmetry is important! Symmetry is at the core of physics.
John M. gets the award for pouncing on the symmetry of the
problem, Way back on Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:36:10 -0800 (PST)