Re: [Phys-l] Japan situation : information, or lack thereof

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Hugh Haskell
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:51 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Japan situation : information, or lack thereof

Bill N. and Bill M.,

Thanks for the information on the sea-based reactors. Are we still
monitoring the Thresher/Scorpion reactors? I wonder if they will
retain their integrity over long periods of time exposed to the sea
water. I understand that Thresher hit the bottom at a pretty good
rate of speed, so its reactor was probably subjected to a pretty good
stress test, but unless the claims of those who assert that
Scorpion's accident was caused by an exploding torpedo are right, my
understanding so Scorpion's accident was due to a collision with an
undersea mountain. Obviously not good for the ship or its crew, but
not as potentially damaging as a high-speed impact with the ocean
bottom.

[Bill Nettles] Yes, they still monitor the sites regularly. Probably not annually now, but did that often in the past. Data for integrity verification is important. Also, it provides a pretty good corrosion test for the zirconium clad.

But I guess that my concern about the reactors would be as a result
of battle damage, rather than simply from the sinking. If the reactor
suffers a direct hit from a large explosive weapon, which
subsequently sinks, will it retain its integrity, or could this
spread the reactor "all over the sea bottom"?

[Bill Nettles] There aren't many conventional weapons that will directly breach the reactor vessel. If a bunker buster did reach the power plant it would probably shear the main coolant pumps from the primary coolant pipes and toss the reactor vessel en toto a little bit. The RV's are very stout. I strongly believe the fuel elements will retain integrity.

I think that the reactors being PWRs makes sense except that, it
doesn't seem consistent with them not supporting superheaters for the
propulsion steam. I know that in an oil-fired ship, the saturated
steam is fed back into the burner in a separate heat exchanger which
heats the saturated steam to the higher temperature. Maybe I don't
understand the heat exchange process between the primary and
secondary water systems, but it does seem that it should be possible
to put the saturated steam back through the heat exchanger to
superheat it even in a nuclear reactor. Can either of you tell me why
this isn't done? My experience was in the weapons department and not
engineering or reactor so I have to admit, I'm not expert on how the
superheaters worked, but I do know that every steam engineer I knew
during my navy career was a firm advocate of superheated steam as a
reliable and highly versatile propulsion system.

[Bill Nettles] Superheaters would play havoc with the temperature balance between the high and low temp secondary system which would in turn affect the primary temps. The reactor has a negative temp coefficient (cold water coming in increases the reactivity) so the reactivity automatically increases when more steam is fed to the turbines (which causes the return secondary temp to drop which makes the primary return temp drop). This makes the power levels of the reactor respond automatically to steam demands with need for rod motion. Also, high temp water corrosion is a concern. Adding a superheater would add a bigger layer of maintenance and operational concern. It might make the propulsion system more efficient overall, but it would increase operational complexity, not something you want to do in a nuclear ship or sub. KISS. It took a loooonnnggg time to convince Rickover to allow any kind of digital electronic controls in the maneuvering spaces.

Also, since you served on Enterprise after I did, Bill M., can you
tell me what the lifetime of that refueling (the second, IIRC) was
intended to be, and if, after the third refueling, is it scheduled
for or has it gotten a fourth (and last) one?

My understanding is that it is scheduled for decommissioning sometime
around 2030--a very long lifetime for a modern man-o-war.

And one last question that I didn't know enough to ask my reactor
officer buddy at the time, is the fuel in these reactors a permanent
installation, like in the submarines? My recollection is that the
entire reactors were going to be pulled out and replaced with new
ones during the 1970 refueling, so I assume that means that the fuel
was an integral part of the reactor and when this fuel was depleted,
the reactor and its depleted fuel would be scrapped. Is my
recollection correct? I also know that the fuel in the SSNs is HEU.
Is that also true of the fuel in the surface ships? I suspect it is,
but I don't know for sure.
[Bill Nettles] You may have misunderstood what you heard. The entire fuel load of a reactor is replaced at refueling, not the reactor vessel itself. Sometimes pumps and steam generators are replaced, depending on tests. When commercial reactors refuel, it is only a portion of the core that is replaced. For NR, the whole core is replaced. Sometimes new control rods are used, sometimes old. The control rod policy may have changed since I left NR. I'll have to leave you with your suspicions regarding HEU, neither confirming nor denying. :)
Bill N.

Hugh