Re: [Phys-l] Japan situation : information, or lack thereof

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Hugh Haskell
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:59 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Japan situation : information, or lack thereof
Snip...
It is true that Enterprise has 8 reactors, but I have not heard that
it ever got down to one operating reactor. I served on board
Enterprise (albeit not in the reactor department) from 1967-69, at
the tail end of a fuel cycle (I left the ship as is pulled into
Norfolk for its second refueling). The reactor officer was a friend
of mine and so I knew something about how the reactors were
operating, since the fuel was nearing the end of its useful life he
had to nurse the reactors with some care. If they were put under much
stress the xenon fraction in the fuel rods would zoom up and the
reactors could scram due to the high neutron capture x-section of
xenon, so our maneuvering was somewhat limited, and all major power
changes had to be scheduled in advance so as to avoid the xenon
effect. But I do not believe that any of the reactors ever shut down
other than intentionally while I was on board. This may have happened
either before or after my time, but not while I was there.

[Bill Nettles] "Scram" is a technical term referring to the forced shutdown of the chain reaction by inserting the control rods. What you are referring to is called xenon poisoning and sub-criticality.
Snip

I don't look
forward to one of those ships being sunk and spilling its nuclear
fuel all over the bottom of the ocean.
[Bill Nettles] The sites of the Thresher and Scorpion accidents have been measured for years with no signs of leakage from the reactors. The nuclear fuel itself in Naval Reactors is designed to maintain integrity with extreme shock loads, (much higher than any earthquake). Even if the reactor vessel was breached in a battle, the actual fuel would remain inside the elements (which would sink quickly). I think your statement "all over the bottom of the ocean" is hyperbole. The fuel wouldn't be dispersed. It's not "loose" like commercial fuel.

I think the Enterprise reactors were BWR, but I'm not sure.
[Bill Nettles] No, all Naval reactors, except the original Seawolf, have been and are PWR.

[Snip]

I often wondered about this but didn't
know enough about reactor technology at the time to ask the proper
questions.

[Bill Nettles] They wouldn't have told you depending on need to know. Actual operating parameters are classified material. But sizing factors and maintenance issues play a big role in determining what is used in those plants.