Re: [Phys-l] Japan situation : information, or lack thereof

From: WC Maddox

Perhaps civilian power plant owners and operators could get help from the US Navy. The USS Enterprise has 8 reactors but has been down to 1 operating reactor while at sea. There are problems getting a ship that size in and out of port in Hawaii without the pipes that supply water to cool the steam getting clogged. So it is possible to have a "self contained" pressurized water reactor. Is there a technical reason this can't be done with a boiling water reactor (as opposed to greed or poor design)?

Apparently the US is going to be spared its own reactor / cooling pond meltdown at Browns Ferry following shutdown after tornadoes went through Alabama last week. Two sources of offsite power have been restored. The reactors may be shutdown for 2-3 more weeks while the power lines are repaired so the reactors can supply power to Alabama.

End Message