[Phys-l] Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain? #3

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in discussion-list post "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain? #3 [Hake (2011b)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In a previous post titled "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain?" I pointed to the analyses of physicists Michael Marder and Dhruv Bansal (2009) at <http://bit.ly/hYbbLe>, which suggested that "educational outcomes for students from wealthy and poor families are very different in Texas."

More recently Reeve Hamilton (2011) in a recent report in the Texas Tribune titled "Is Poverty the Key Factor in Student Outcomes?" <http://bit.ly/mpkki0> did an excellent job of showcasing Marder's (2011) work by means of an interview and video clips of Marder explaining his graphs of mathematics achievement vs poverty concentration in Texas.

Hamilton wrote: "[Marder] sat down with the Tribune to talk about the role of poverty in educational outcomes, why he thinks charter schools are not necessarily the answer, and why he likes to think of the public education system as a Boeing airplane. . . . .[[more accurately, the dysfunctional British de Havilland Comet whose malfunction, like the malfunction of the U.S. K-12 educational system, was continually misdiagnosed - see Marder (2011) at <http://bit.ly/fjUquC>.]]. . . . .

To access the complete 15 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/jy61UB>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"For the short term, preparing teachers in mathematics and science is a wise and useful step toward improving schools. . . . . .[But]. . . As quickly as possible, we must understand the link between poverty and educational outcomes in the US, devise solutions, and test and implement them. Britain briefly tried to substitute public relations for aircraft safety and paid with the loss of its commercial aviation sector. I hope the United States can avoid a similar error, that proponents of teacher quality and charter schools will recognize the weakness of the evidence before it is too late, that we will not damage public education, let down our most vulnerable students, and lose technical leadership we take for granted."
Michael Marder (2011)

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 3 May 2011.]

Hake, R.R. 2011a. "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain?" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/g6UWUZ>. Post of 7 Apr 2011 17:51:59-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/ifvkSz>.

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic Gain? #3
" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/jy61UB>. Post of 3 May 2011 13:02:37 -0700. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/k1HsRH> with a provision for comments.

Marder, M. 2011. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics: Poverty is a More Important Cause than Teacher Quality," to be submitted, online as a 3.3 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/fjUquC>. See also Marder & Bansal (2009) and Marder (2010).