Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 2012, Jul 11, , at 05:26, ron mcdermott wrote:

What is the rationale behind parents seeking private schools in the FIRST
place? On average, the teachers aren't better; if anything the reverse is
true. The programs aren't better; in many/most cases they are more
limited.

I attended a private school whose program was about the same as Santa Barbara HS, except one class was superior (the private schools). I think chem., which I could directly compare, as I transferring half way thru the year. The comparison not very applicable to ron's claim, as SBHS had two tiers, and the population then was dominantly upper middle and upper class.

AP classes, for example, tend to be very rare in private
schools. The supposedly better education is an illusion based on comparing
populations which are not statistically comparable int he FIRST place! So
what's the draw?

The draw is a guarantee into a very highly rated college. The vast majority of grads are (were") admitted to, e.g. MIT, CalTech, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc.

bc

p.s. I remember my SBHS friends attended Berkeley, Harvard, etc., so there wasn't that much advantage for the private school.