Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 2012, Jul 11, , at 06:07, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

Very thoughtful insights. However, I will respond to this:

What is the rationale behind parents seeking private schools in the FIRST
place? On average, the teachers aren't better; if anything the reverse is
true. The programs aren't better; in many/most cases they are more
limited. AP classes, for example, tend to be very rare in private
schools. The supposedly better education is an illusion based on comparing
populations which are not statistically comparable int he FIRST place! So
what's the draw?

I heard that grads. from private schools tended to find the first year of college somewhat repetitious. but then had trouble the next year. (Remember this is 55 years ago) I found that true in physics. Part of the reason, the former, is my school used college texts, at least the bio. ones, I don't remember the others. Physics the first year at UCSC was a breeze, top grade on the final.

bc