[Phys-L] Private schools

I don't know if this can happen in other states, but there was a private
school caught in a big scandal in Houston. It was accredited, and it took
in students who had trouble in other schools and gave them HS degrees. It
was a degree mill, but that didn't bring it down. One mother was
propositioned by the principal/owner so that she could avoid the entrance
fee. She went to the local TV stations and wore a wire. She was seen
entering the principal's van and you could clearly hear the conversation
where he promised the rebate for sex. Needless to say it is now closed
down, and they deny that there was anything improper. I think he was even
prosecuted.

As far as I can see the variation in private schools is much wider than the
public schools so the average is not that high. And of course there are the
ones which are dedicated to teaching bad science and history because of
their sectartian point of view.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX