Re: [Phys-l] DATA, FACTS, LAWS, THEORIES

I did say that a law can be an equation, and the 2nd law of thermo can be an
inequality equation. But laws are sometimes stated in such a way as to
obscure the equation such as NTN1 or NTN3. One can play the game all day
with looking for exceptions, but can anyone make a fairly good list of the
known things that are all called laws and see if there are any rules that
govern the preponderance of them. Then a better definition might be found.
We don't make the rules for what is called a law, common usage is the true
deciding factor, and there are always exceptions. It the alternately
proposed definition of a law seems more reasonable where do laws stop and
theories begin? Another thing one can say about laws is that they are very
specific, and that a theory often encompasses a number of laws. But we are
dealing with classification which is somewhat alien to physicists, but not
to biologists.

So can someone come up with a comprehensive list? The majority of examples
prove the rule, not the exceptions because the definition of a law is not a
physics definition.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX