Re: [Phys-l] DATA, FACTS, LAWS, THEORIES

1) Each Kepler's law is an example in which the term "law'" means "a
generalization based on facts."
But each of these is a relationship between variables.

3) Newton's law of gravitation, on the other hand, is not "a
generalization based on facts." That is why I think it is better to
say "Newton's theory of gravitation." It explains Kepler's Laws in
terms of postulated F=G*M*m/r^2 .
NTN gravitational law is also a relationship between variables.

These all follow the rule that I have put forth as being the requirement to
be called a law.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX