Re: [Phys-l] DATA, FACTS, LAWS, THEORIES

I was taught to use "The Energy Principal" by Peter Redmond whenever possible, as it is easier. This was some time ago -- have laws been substituted for principles?

I instinctively used law for the relationship of extension and force in my hardening magnetic repulsion oscillator. Not a generalization; is this wrong?

bc coffee table experimentalist.

"There is another word, principle, which is sometimes used to refer to the
same concepts, but often not. So some things which are called laws maybe
should be principles, and vice-versa. Both of these provide rules which are
used to determine things in specific situations. I would divide them as
laws being relationships, but principles rules which may not necessarily
imply equations. So Occam's razor is a principle, and definitely not a law.
But there are plenty of murky examples. Now this opens another can of worms
which has already been argued about." [Clement]