Re: [Phys-l] DATA, FACTS, LAWS, THEORIES

On Oct 19, 2009, at 1:10 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I was taught to use "The Energy Principal" by Peter Redmond whenever
possible, as it is easier. This was some time ago -- have laws been
substituted for principles?

I instinctively used law for the relationship of extension and force
in my hardening magnetic repulsion oscillator. Not a generalization;
is this wrong?

1) In a private message B.K. wrote:
Jules Henri Poincare (1854-1912) observed that “Science is built with facts as a house is with stones, but a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house.”

2) Let me parphrase this : Laws of phsics are relation between variables, but a relation between variables is not necessarily a law of physics.

3) And here is something similar. Each medieval masons, working on a cathedral, was asked "what are you doing?" The first said: "I am chipping stones," the second said: "I am supporting my family;" and the third said: "I am glorifying God."

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher
5 Horizon Road, Apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist.

Food for thought: "Absence of proof is not proof of absence."

Updated links to his selected publications are at:
http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ , http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html and http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html