Re: [Phys-l] DATA, FACTS, LAWS, THEORIES

On Oct 18, 2009, at 7:59 PM, John Clement wrote:

Of course, only things are called laws if they have some general validity
and applicability. But the primary requirement to be a law is that it is a
relationship between variables. Beyond that there seem to be social and
political rules that determine which things are called laws. Newton never
called his laws "laws".

A relation between the area of a circle and its radius satisfies such criterion. But it not a scientific law. The term "relation between variables" is much broader than the term "law. "

In fact, I do not consider mathematics to be a science; it is our special language. But that is a different topic.

DATA = what is reported
FACTS = validated data
LAWS = generalized facts
THEORIES = explanations of laws and facts

What is wrong with this? The four words are listed alphabetically.

Yes, I know that other meanings are often assigned to each of these four concepts. That is not desirable; it often creates confusion.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher
5 Horizon Road, Apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist.

Food for thought: "Absence of proof is not proof of absence."

Updated links to his selected publications are at:
http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ , http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html and http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html