Re: [Phys-L] definition of "power"

I think it would hurt. It would still have viewers come away with the idea that power is an amount of energy, with units of energy. I would accept "power is the energy put into the thing each second, divided by one second." I would much prefer, "the power in this case, is how fast energy is being put into the thing," or, better yet, "how fast energy is flowing into the thing."

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John
Clement
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:00 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] definition of "power"

The common on the street definition of power is often the same as energy.

I was dismayed when an episode of the Magic School Bus defined power as
energy. I suspect they are still using that episode. It really would not hurt to
say that the power is the energy put into the thing each second.
The difference between the two words is actually quite exact in trade and
science. So starting to make the distinction early can be helpful, even if it is
not fully understood.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX