Re: [Phys-L] definition of "power"

I define power as the rate at which energy is transferred or transformed. I tell students about the use of the word "dissipated" but other than to warn them that they will encounter it I try to avoid it as it suggests that energy disappears. I don't recall having thought of the advection question in terms of power. Hot gas flowing into a volume of space that I have defined as a system certainly represents energy flow into the system and I would indeed call the rate at which the energy flows into the system that way, power. The question of gasoline flow is a tough one. I don't think the location of the energy can be nailed down--it is somewhere between the gasoline and the oxygen with which it might react. We tend to assign the energy to the gasoline but suppose we had a methane atmosphere and oxygen was something we found underground; I'm guessing we would assign the energy to the oxygen.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John
Denker
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 2:50 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] definition of "power"

On 12/01/2014 01:23 PM, Richard Tarara wrote:

Really, you need to be careful in every instance to be very clear.

1) That's excellent advice.

Different people define power differently. This horse escaped from the
barn a long time ago. For the foreseeable future, the R.T. approach seems
like the only game in town.

I've been known to use long-winded expressions such as "F dot v
mechanical power" and "I dot V electrical power".