Re: [Phys-L] definition of "power"

b) In the second sentence, it asserts that this is equivalent
to energy consumed per unit time.

How about defining power as rate of converting energy from one form to another? This could be an internal conversion (burn chemical energy of gasoline to get kinetic energy of motion of a car) or an external transfer (in the form of work, heat, and/or mass transfer from one object or system to another). I'm somewhat undecided about whether a transfer of energy without a change in form should count (eg. the cue ball hits the 8 ball elastically) but I suppose it could so one doesn't have to worry too much about what one means by the vague term "forms." Just consider any measurable change in a a system to involve energy and hence power.
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363