Re: [Phys-L] new ACT test results show that few high school seniors want to teach science

Colleagues,
On Nov. 21, 2014, I posted to physics and chemistry teacher listservs, on the terribly low numbers of interested high school students in teaching science.

In response, a highly-regarded teacher-leader, who is nationally known for his work, posted the note below (and later gave permission to share it freely):

------------------------------
I think this is more a reflection of the continued erosion of the status of teaching as a profession and less a statement on becoming a science teacher. Becoming a teacher these days is very, very different than it used to be even as recent as 10 years ago. Take-home pay has gone down for many teachers over the years as salaries have stagnated or been reduced and benefits have been greatly reduced. Teachers who enter the profession now can no longer count on a pension or enough of a retirement account to be able to live on. Job security is a thing of the past with many teacher tenure laws being gutted or abolished and teachers unions legislated to powerlessness. Districts can easily let go their most senior, highest paid teachers now for no reasons whatsoever other than cost savings. Benefits, retirement and job security used to be the tradeoffs that teachers accepted in exchange for low pay. But these are no longer an option.

My daughter is a senior in high school this year and she has expressed an interest in becoming a HS chemistry/biology teacher. She is exactly the type of role model the teaching profession needs in years to come. She has been a top AP student all through HS. As a junior she earned college credit thru AP for Calculus, Chemistry and US History. She scored a 31 on the ACT. She is active in sports, her community and with social issues. She is enthusiastic about math and science. Exactly the type of female role model the STEM education community needs. I am sorry to say that as she progresses into college, and many opportunities open up for her, I will strongly encourage her to NOT go into teaching and to look closely at her other options. As a caring father, I do not want her to have to be subjected to the difficulties that lie ahead for our next generation of teachers.

Hopefully our legislators who have successfully managed to reduce the teaching profession to such a low level are on this listserv....but they probably aren't.
Drew Isola
Allegan High School
Physics & Math Teacher
"Those who can - teach. Those who can't - pass laws about teaching"

REFERENCE:
http://www.act.org/stemcondition/14
From page 3:
The proposed federal STEM Teacher Pathways program seeks to produce 100,000 high-quality math and science teachers in the next decade. Out of the more than 1.8 million 2014 graduating high school students tested, however, only 4,424 students expressed an interest in teaching math, while a meager 1,115 expressed an interest in teaching science.

--
peace,
Jane