Re: [Phys-L] definition of "power"

Yea, and I have seen videos, even "science" ones, when they use/say
pressure and force interchangeably. Same is true for speed and velocity.
Heck, people still believe the Earth is flat (Flat Earth Society)! There's
much bad science out there, and people believe whatever they want. We can
only do so much in our classrooms to teach good/real science and promote
science literacy. Not sure if we are "winning," but I think we must keep
fighting.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
The common on the street definition of power is often the same as energy.

I was dismayed when an episode of the Magic School Bus defined power as
energy. I suspect they are still using that episode. It really would not
hurt to say that the power is the energy put into the thing each second.
The difference between the two words is actually quite exact in trade and
science. So starting to make the distinction early can be helpful, even
if
it is not fully understood.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX