Re: [Phys-l] T dS versus dQ

Correct - it is not directly relevant. Pasco sells a syringe that has a pressure and temperature sensor inside. The air in the syringe can easily be compressed rapidly and one does get close to the adiabatic P-T relationship. The temperature probe has about a 1 sec response time - which, as WC Maddox has pointed out, is enough time to have some thermal leakage.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Philip Keller
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 12:03 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] T dS versus dQ

I still don't see how this experiment is relevant to the question at
hand: the question was (I thought) whether fast or slow made a
difference in the final temperature for an insulated piston. But this
device is clearly not insulated, so it seems to me that the apparatus
demonstrates that a quick compression, happening fast enough to be
modeled as adiabatic, causes a temperature increase, where a slow one
remains at the same temp. [Do we then say that the work in equals the
heat out? I know my textbook says that...] This is an interesting
demo, but the original question is not being tested.