From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Mallinckrodt [ajm@csupomona.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:53 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] T dS versus dQ

Right. I prefer, however, to think about the work done in terms of
force (and displacement of the piston) rather than pressure (and
volume change of the gas), because the pressure in the gas is ill-
defined. Indeed, the pressure that you want to use in this
calculation can only be determined finding the force applied to the
gas by the piston and then dividing by the piston area. Note also
that one can at least imagine constructing a compression procedure
during which that "pressure" is sometimes close to zero even when the
piston is moving toward the gas. For instance, give a big push on
the piston, then pull it back very quickly, and then immediately
begin "compressing the gas" again. The point is that the big inward
push and retreat creates a bit of a void that the piston moves
through during the initial phase of the subsequent compression. It
is a minor triumph of thermodynamics that we know that the net work
done on the gas will, in ANY event be larger than that done in a
reversible (isentropic in this case) compression precisely BECAUSE of
the irreversible nature of the process.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona