From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of David Willey
Sent: Tue 1/19/2010 10:57 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] fire pistons

If, like me, you often have humid days that make it difficult to get
your fire piston to light a small scrap of toilet tissue, try flash
paper. It's available from magic supply stores and works really well.
DO NOT however do what I did and use close to a square centimeter of it.
Ten square millimeters is about the maximum you need to use, a hundred
blows up the piston and the protective tube.
Got to love safety shields and goggles, be safe,
cheers,
David