From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of WC Maddox [maddox@physics.Auburn.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:28 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] T dS versus dQ

From: WC Maddox

The experimentalists among those receiving these Tds vs dQ messages may
want to show the temperature difference between slow pressure increase
and rapid pressure increase by using the device shown here:
http://www.arborsci.com/detail.aspx?ID=1157. It has a digital
temperature display. If you turn the screw slowly you will not see a
temperature change. If you turn the screw rapidly you get ~ 1 degree (C)
increase for full travel of the piston. This is with the only insulation
being the plastic tube. You can then demonstrate cooling during
expansion by turning the screw the other way rapidly.

End Message