harder on the bottom of the rim because the in-plane component of the
tension in the lower sidewall decreases. The in-plane component of the
net force exerted on the rim by the bead is thus upward.

See my post of Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:03:55 -0500 for a more detailed
discussion of this that omitted the increased tension in the upward
sidewall pointed out by Michael Edmiston.

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Tarara
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:12 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

Sorry to those getting 'tired' of this thread, but I'm still not
sure--and
think we have two camps--the wheel being pulled from above or pushed
from
below.

I'm trying to think very Newtonian about this, and unless the bead is
literally glued to the wheel rim (or trapped) I can't see a mechanism
for
it
to 'pull up' on the rim. I don't think the goop that Michael refers
to is
absolutely necessary, or always applied--any know for sure. I guess
the
model I'm thinking of now is putting a rubber band around the wheel (a
big
rubber band), grabbing it at the topmost point and lifting. This puts
the
band under tension, more at the top or equal all around (not sure),
but
with
a 'stretchy' band certainly the wheel is supported by the band from
the
bottom. This is how I'm visualizing the bead(s)--tensioned from the
top
but
pushing up from beneath. I can't see how the tension in the bead
sans
glue
can pull upwards (isn't the tension along the curved path of the bead
due
stretching the bead to fit over the wheel and radially outwards due to
the
sidewalls?) Below the wheel the upwards force comes from reaction
force
of
the wheel's weight pushing down on the bead. What is the actual
upwards
force of bead on wheel above?

Rick