Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

At 09:22 AM 11/9/2007, Jeffrey Schnick, you wrote:

> Brian W. said...
>
> > Sophisticated (in this context) means you can understand
> > a pneumatic tire can be contrived with NO contribution
> > from its upper half, and that this can be made to
> > function on a spoked wheel assembly.
>
> I guess I am not sophisticated because I cannot understand that unless
> the tire is internally sectioned.
>
> The spoked bicycle wheel/tire is no different than the auto
wheel/tire.
> The axle "hangs" from the top rim via the top spokes. The rim "hangs"
> from the top sidewall of the tire.

No. The bead hangs from the top sidewall. The rim is supported from
below by the bead.

Well, well, well, Jeffrey. You didn't start out as a physicist, did you?
:-)

You might enjoy responding to the design issue of showing the ice/snow loading capacity of a blown diaphragm roof on a circular "pill-box" arena.
These tension roof skins can be held down by a rim, despite the air pressure differential applied across them. The side walls pull down
on the rim to keep the roof in place, unless the snow load gets too great!

Wait: isn't that a bit like a tubeless tire? Oh yes!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!