Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

At 12:58 AM 11/9/2007, you wrote:
bc hopes he got it correct.

> And yes, a wire-spoked wheel can be considered
> at a naive level to be suspended from the upper spokes.

Naive? I must be confused, I thought that was sophisticated!

That's not an unusual response from folks who claim physics
as their avocation!
Sophisticated (in this context) means you can understand a
pneumatic tire can be contrived with NO contribution from its
upper half, and that this can be made to function on a spoked wheel
assembly. ["Oh! That's a different case." :-) ]

It highlights the question: in a tension structure, how are
compressive loads reacted?

Civil engineers deal with this loading issue when they specify a
tension roof, and need to demonstrate how it will handle
snow/ice loads.
But I digress....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!