Re: [Phys-l] zeroth order and first order

I'm looking at one of my old bicycle tires. The part that contacts the rim of the wheel has some exposed white threads in it that run along the circumference, but the shape is essentially flat - no indentations or protrusions that would grip in any way. The tube seems to be an essential part of keeping everything in place radially.

Bob at PC

________________________________

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of John Denker
Sent: Fri 11/9/2007 12:14 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] zeroth order and first order

On 11/08/2007 06:40 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
What if we consider tires with tubes? The "bead" does not have slope
where it touches the rim, it simply sits parallel to the vertical
part of the rim.

I'm not sure I understand what that's trying to say.
Perhaps a picture or sketch would help.

If that means to say what it seems to say, then I don't think
that's true. Every rim I've ever seen(*) has some sort of
retainer ... variously called a seat or a shoulder or a flange
or a rib ... something to engage the bead (from one side or
the other).

Is the car still suspended by the "bead"?

In every case I've ever seen(*), yes.

-------

(*) Except of course for sew-ups, which obviously are in a class
by themselves.