Re: [Phys-l] zeroth order and first order

On 11/08/2007 10:21 AM, Rick Tarara wrote:

I'm thinking that bicycles may not be a really good analogy to car tires in
that the inflated tires serve different purposes.

There are at least two ways to draw the analogy:
a) car rubber sidewall <--> bike rubber sidewall
b) car rubber sidewall <--> bike spokes

Am I wrong to believe
that one CAN ride a bike on the tireless rims?

Well, sorta, but I don't recommend it.
The same goes for cars.

If so, the tires basically
soften the ride

Sure.
Ditto for cars.

The analogy as I understand it is that the spokes are like the
sidewalls--leaving only the tread to be like the bike tire (or is it just
the wheel rim?) The tension in the sidewalls is due to the inflation
whereas the inflation of the bike tire doesn't effect the spoke tension.
Is all that correct?

That's analogy (b) in the listing above. It's not crazy,
but it's not the first analogy most people think of.

Another way to get into trouble is to consider tricycle tires,
which are non-inflated hard rubber. The work by completely
different principles from car tires.