[Phys-l] Another tire question

Looked through the archives and Googled this one, but didn't find a definitive answer.

How does a tire actually hold up a car?

At the Way Things Work site they talk about the footprint area of the tires times the pressure equalling the weight of the car. However, if I look at the forces: The road pushes up on the tires, but the tires must push up on the wheels--with a force equal to the weight of the car (more or less--depending on if you count the weight of the tires themselves). The two factors I see as possible are 1) A pressure difference between the top of the wheel and the bottom of the wheel--giving a net upwards force. Can the pressure difference be enough? The effective area of 4-wheels is under 500 square inches--so you'd need a 4 lb/in^2 differential to support a 1 ton car. The other--and I think this is the answer but need confirmation--is that most (if not all) of the weight is supported by the sidewalls of the tires which are stiffened by the air pressure.

Still the air-pressure times footprint area plays a roll--partially deflate the tires and the footprint increases--but what about the sidewall forces then?

A bit confused on this.....

Rick

***************************
Richard W. Tarara