Re: [Phys-l] heat +- impulse

On 11/03/2007 04:53 PM, I dangled the following quote:

«You can strengthen your insight into these concepts by now returning to
the discussion of impulse and change of momentum in Section 1.9. Notice
that impulse, like quantity of heat transferred, is path dependent. In order
to calculate an impulse, we must know how the force delivering the impulse
varied instant by instant (i.e., we must know the "path" of the force with
respect to the succession of clock readings). If we have this information, we can
evaluate the impulse as an integral (i.e., an area under a graph). The situation
with respect to transfer of heat is exactly analogous: Delivery of impulse
(which is /not/ a state variable) results in a change in the state variable called
"momentum." Transfer of heat (which is /not/ a state variable) at constant
pressure results in a change of the state variable temperature.»

Several days have passed, and nobody has taken the bait, so I might
as well give my analysis of this passage. Avert your eyes if you're
still trying to puzzle it out.

IMHO, this passage has more errors than it has sentences.

One of the central points that this section tries to make is actually
valid, if you take it out of context, and re-interpret it in just the right
way: It is true that in non-cramped thermodynamics, there is no path-independent
value for ∫ TdS.

Alas, this passage buries this fact under two layers of wrong physics,
plus a few layers of bad pedagogy.
* The definition of “path dependent” is deeply flawed; see below.
* The analogy between impulse and heat is flawed; see below.
* Even if the analogy were overhauled so as to make it correct, it
would violate the pedagogical principle that learning proceeds from the known
to the unknown. If students don’t know about thermodynamics, you can’t explain
it to them in terms of non-conservative force fields (which they don’t know
about, either).
* This makes a mockery of the of principle of “idea before name”. The
title of this section is «HEAT IS NOT A FUNCTION OF STATE». If you learn those
words by rote, they may turn out to be correct, if you later learn a correct
definition for the words. However, the /ideas/ that this passage attaches to
these words are not correct.
* It is questionable (both from a pedagogical and from a practical
point of view) to emphasize what something is not. Even if the passage gave
a consistent definition of “heat” and a correct definition of “path independent”
(which it does not), saying that heat is not path independent should not
be the goal; it is barely even a starting place. It would have been more
constructive to explain that T dS is a state function, and to explain some
of the things we can do with it.

The passage does not correctly explain the relationship between TdS
(which is a function of state) and ∫ TdS (which is not). This could have
been explained using pictures, such as the picture of uncramped thermodynamics
in
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-laws.htm
and also
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-forms.htm

The definition of “path dependent” given here is wrong. The key question is
not asked, let alone answered. The question is, what would happen if we chose a
different path from state A to state B? The passage imparts quite a serious
misconception about what path-dependent means.

It is always possible, but meaningless, to find a seemingly-path-dependent way
of calculating a path-independent quantity.

The statement about impulse might have been correct if it had considered
paths through position-space instead of state-space. In particular, paths
through the position-space inside a betatron can produce a path-dependent
impulse, since momentum is not a function of position there, as discussed
in
http://www.av8n.com/physics/non-conservative.htm

However, the quoted passage is clearly talking about paths in state-space.
That changes everything, because momentum is a function of state ... not a
function of position per se, but a function of state. That allows us to carry
out the following calculation:

impulse = ∫ F dt along some path from state A to state B
= ∫ (dp/dt) dt
= ∫ dp
= p(B) − p(A) independent of path in state-space

Also, introducing the term «delivery of impulse» violates the principle
of “idea before name”. If this term means anything, it presumably is the same
as transfer of momentum.

Saying that impulse is path-dependent is tantamount to saying that the
force field is non-grady. As a pedagogical point, just telling students that
such a field exists is next to pointless. Students have a strong tendency to
assume that every force field is the gradient of some potential. If you want
’em to believe in (let alone understand) non-grady force fields, it will take
some serious work, not just a sentence or two here and there. The analogy
here to “some” force field is neither concrete nor correct. Diagrams would
have been a big help.

It says «Transfer of heat (which is not a state variable) at constant
pressure results in a change of the state variable temperature.» I assume
this is meant to be a general rule, since is not restricted to any particular
scenario, and no limits to the validity of this statement are given. This
rule is inconsistent with basic physics in this context; it is simply not
true that heat transfers of the kind considered in this paragraph always
result in a change of temperature.

Is it any wonder that students come away confused about basic thermodynamics?