Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

Brian Whatcott said...

Perhaps a not too unrealistic counter-example will moderate this
idea of "hanging on an upper sidewall/bead."

Well gosh, I think you've described a totally different situation. Rather than the weight being supported by the lower bead and sidewall, I think it is now supported by the air pressure on the bottom of the wheel that is on the bottom only rather than on the bottom and top as in the true wheel. You're example seems like setting a tireless wheel onto a strong-walled balloon. Yep, that ought to work, but it's not the same situation as the tire.

Let me give a counter-counter-example that I think you could probably actually do quite easily, although it won't be real cheap. Take some wire cutters, go to your bicycle, and cut out all the spokes from the top half of the wheels. Get on the bicycle and see if the lower spokes will support your weight.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive