Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

It remains clear to me that the sidewall is always in radial tension; that is, always pulling radially outward. The lower sidewall is not exerting any upward force. It is pulling downward. The support of the wheel is coming from the sidewall tension in the upper half becoming more, and the sidewall tension in the lower half becoming less, when the car's weight is added to the wheel.

The thing I still struggle with is the bead. It is not clear to me whether we should consider the bead/rim as a rigid unit, or if there is some movement of the bead with respect to the rim. I have watched tire people remove tires from wheels. It is not easy to break the bead from the rim. Remember that the air pressure is pushing axially outward on the sidewall and bead, pushing the bead into the rim sideways. When they mount the tire they spread gluey goop on this joint. The bead generally becomes stuck to the rim so hard that when you want to remove the tire you have to work to break the bead/rim seal. They have motorized equipment to stretch the bead off the rim once the seal is broken. They also have hydraulic equipment to push on the bead to get it separated from the rim.

I once observed a person removing one of my tires from the rim. The air pressure was all released, the tire machine was pressing down on the sidewall trying to break the bead/rim seal, and not succeeding. While the tire machine was still trying to break the bead seal, the serviceman grabbed a very large rubber mallet and starting hitting the sidewall near the rim with what looked like all his might. It took several hammer blows before the bead separated from the rim.

In that case, the bead was stuck so hard, without air pressure, that I wondered if he was going to free my wheel from the tire. When the tire is pressurized, the bead is pushed sideways into the rim and that would make it even more difficult to break the bead/rim seal.

Based on that experience I can certainly imagine that the rim can "hang" from the upper bead. By I can also imagine that if the rubber/metal interface on the top stretches some, then that upward pull from the sidewall will "propagate" some distance circumferentially along the bead and down around the wheel. A few inches? All the way to the bottom of the wheel? I don't know.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive