Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Tarara" <rbtarara@sprynet.com>

All of that above agrees with Michael and Jeffrey (I think) at least in the
fact that the vertical tension in the upper sidewall is greater than in the
lower sidewall--by the amount of the weight to be supported by the wheel.
But we come back to the problem that if the bead is not trapped--doesn't
seem like it is in a car wheel/tire from pictures that have been
offered--then the bead can't be pulling the tire up from below.

The above should read: then the bead can't be pulling the wheel up from above.

Sorry.

The force
on the wheel must be from the bead below. Could it be that in effect the
tension above is pulling the bead away from the wheel (but not enough to
break the air seal) while the compressive component of the forces on the
lower part of the tire are maintaining a firm hold of the bead on the lower
part? This would give us a differential force of the lower bead upwards on
the wheel but still agree with the tension forces being greater in the upper
half.