[Phys-L] let's figure out how energy behaves

On 09/28/2015 04:24 PM, Philip Keller wrote:
I look at the title of this thread and I can't help thinking: Let's
NOT define energy.

Yes, it was a pathologically ill-chosen Subject: line,
so I changed it just now.

As I have often said:
Energy /is/ as energy /does/.

That is to say, it is far better to understand
how energy behaves than to rote-memorize a pithy
dictionary-style definition of what energy "is".

Words acquire meaning from how they are used,
not from some dictionary-style definition.
Many students are shocked to hear this, but
it's true and important.

Let's just define specific energy types. We have
these interesting quantities. Under a particular set of
circumstances, each can be shown to be changed by work. So for
example, we could call (1/2)mv^2 the "work-changed motion-related
quantity". Call mgh the work-changed height-related quantity. Build
your collection.

IMHO that is a step in the wrong direction. The most
salient thing about energy is the conservation law.
Focusing on specific sub-categories of energy loses
sight of the conservation law, unless you are super-
careful or super-lucky.

The fundamental conservation law recognizes only one
kind of energy. The more you slice and dice the energy,
the more likely you are to make a mistake.

One failure mode (among many!) is that the sub-categories
are likely to overlap. This leads to overcounting some
contributions to the energy.