[Phys-L] let's define energy

On 09/25/2015 07:04 AM, Paul Nord wrote:

I heard some good debate on the idea of making an "Energy Concepts
Inventory" something like the FCI (Force Concepts Inventory). The
conclusion seemed to be that the sciences use the term energy in so many
different ways that science needs to sort this out before we can expect
students to clearly articulate these concepts.

1) Is this debate documented anywhere? In particular, is
there something that interested parties could read and
then cite?

2) How many different definitions of /physics/ energy are
we talking about? Is there more than one serious contender?

I've been wrong about this sort of thing before, but I
would hope the community could come to a consensus on
how to define the /physics/ energy.

This stands in contrast to things like:
-- "adiabatic", where there are two long-established
meanings, neither of which is particularly better or
worse than the other.
-- "heat", where there are at least four long-established
and widely-used meanings, each of which has some merit
but also some serious problems. (Not to mention various
vernacular and/or metaphorical usages.)
-- etc. etc. etc.

3) Within "science" broadly, I know of two or three definitions
of «energy» ... only one of which is the /physics/ energy.

a) The /physics/ energy, as I understand it, is unique, well
defined, and well behaved. Here's how I explain it:
https://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/energy.html
or equivalently
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/energy.html

b) Meanwhile, there is also the Department of Energy «energy».
This involves some notion of "available" or "useful" energy.
This is important, but it's not the /physics/ energy.
they are not using the physics notion of energy *or* the physics
notion of conservation.

c) In dictionaries and in third-grade science books you often
see energy defined as "the ability to do work". This is a
rough approximation to the DoE «energy». It is absolutely
not the physics energy. For details on this, see
https://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/energy.html#sec-workability

Note that the DoE «energy» is important. I'm not saying
it's wrong; I'm just saying it's not the /physics/ energy.
Context matters. In physics context you have to use the
physics definition.

==========================

One of the things I don't like about the FCI is that it
plays word games. It sets up situations where it would
make sense to apply the vernacular definition of force,
and then penalizes students for doing so. I can imagine
a cockamamie Energy Concept Inventory that pulled the
same sort of trick: setting up situations where it
would make sense to apply the DoE definition of «energy»
and then penalizing students for doing so. Please please
please let's not go there.

==========================

I leave it as a question:

1) Does anybody have a problem with the definition and
explanation of energy as I have presented it?
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/energy.html

2) Does anybody know of any other viable, useful, or even
plausible ways of defining the /physics/ energy?

3) Does anybody know of any other vernacular notions
that commonly interfere with students' understanding
of physics energy? (I don't want a long list of
misconceptions, just the truly /important/ ones. Keep
in mind the Anna Karenina principle: Each student who
is confused is confused in his own way.)