Re: [Phys-L] science education articles

This is why forums such as this one are invaluable.

People say things here that they can't or won't
publish in the "literature". Here's an example,
or maybe two examples in one:

On 09/23/2015 11:40 AM, rjensen@ualberta.ca wrote:

people don't tend to publish negative results. Flipped
instruction is a current example. Going to conferences, I find many
people have tried some form of flipped instruction. For most, it fails
and/or the students revolt. And the event is buried, not published.

Note that such publication bias makes it impossible
to do a meaningful meta-analysis.

BTW ... I never said the literature was /uniformly/
bad. I said the signal-to-noise ration was poor.
There are occasional bright spots. For example, I
disagree with several parts of the following paper,
but at least it admits that there are validity problems
and biases to worry about:
http://mazur.harvard.edu/sentFiles/Mazur_424102.pdf