Re: [Phys-L] science education articles

If you are new to education research, you will soon discover that
there is no consensus on anything: computer-based learning, active
instruction, flipped instruction, traditional instruction, etc.. You
read one paper and go "wow, that works great, we gotta do that!" Then
you read another paper that professionally(?) explains why the author
of the first paper is an idiot.

Additionally, people don't tend to publish negative results. Flipped
instruction is a current example. Going to conferences, I find many
people have tried some form of flipped instruction. For most, it fails
and/or the students revolt. And the event is buried, not published.

*I* am new to education research. My take on educational practices and
effective learning is in sections 3.1 and 3.3 of the document at
www.RoguePublishing.ca/ComSci-3.pdf
This document is in *draft* and meant for students.

Selected papers:
http://www.chemreview.net/CogSciForChemists.pdf
http://www.aft.org/sites/default/files/periodicals/Clark.pdf
http://www.aft.org/sites/default/files/periodicals/Rosenshine.pdf
http://www.apa.org/ed/governance/bea/learner-centered.pdf
http://www.usc.edu/dept/education/cogtech/publications/kuhn_ep_07.pdf

http://www.faculty.mun.ca/cmattatall/Why_Minimal_Guidance_Does_Not_Work.pdf
http://www.pnas.org/content/111/23/8410.abstract
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1207/s15430421tip4102_2
http://chemreview.net/blog/?p=321

Plus the citations at the end of the ComSci-3.pdf document.

Thanks,
Dr. Roy Jensen
Lecturer, Chemistry
W5-19, University of Alberta