Re: [Phys-L] problems with the physics regents

It looks like a good demo. And I hope you ask them to predict what they
might see and which pole of the magnet is producing the effect. I use the
Minds on Physics demo where they have a bar magnet hung in a paper sling on
a thread from a wooden stand. Actually I set several of them up ahead of
time and give them bar magnets. They quickly realize that the N end of the
magnet points to the N compass direction. I had a complete reference frame
X, Y, Z in my room with the ends labeled N, S, E... As well as X, Y, Z and
the appropriate signs. It has dm ticks with labels each m.

I still would like to see the original questions. Perhaps a colleague wrote
them down.

John

I do a silly little demonstration that always gets a more
enthusiastic response than I expect:

1. First, cover a bar magnet with a piece of newsprint and
sprinkle iron filings. Tap the paper to shake the filings so
that they line up with the field lines.

(Already, my 11th graders are stunned. Actually, so am I.
They are stunned by the phenomenon which they swear they have
never seen and I am stunned that they did not see this in
elementary school...)

2. Now take one of those clear compasses used on overhead
projectors and move it around to different points over the
filings. Of course, the compass lines up with the "local"
magnetic field lines.

3. Now pretend you are an explorer, following your compass
to the "North" pole. You would just go the way it directed
you. So I slowly move my compass over the filings, always
moving in the direction that the compass calls "North". As
expected, no matter where I start, I eventually "arrive" at
one end of the bar magnet.

4. Remove the newspaper to reveal that the end of the bar
magnet we have reached is actually the one with an S on it!

Moral of the story: while the Earth's magnetic field is NOT
caused by a giant buried bar magnet...if it WERE, the pole
found in the northern hemisphere would have a great big S on it!