Re: [Phys-L] problems with the physics regents

On 6/13/2012 8:31 PM, John Clement wrote:
I don't immediately know the length of a football field either, but I might
be able to make an educated guess. Is it a required topic in school??? If
not they should give the number. They need to be careful about cultural
things. I suspect every small town TX student knows the length of a
football field because football is very important to them. But now in many
places soccer has penetrated, and my son played lacrosse.

As to the poles of course the N magnet pole is in Antarctica, but the N
geographic pole is in the Arctic. I think the key word is magnetic which
means the pole of a magnet. It is not a trick question, but rather testing
a misconception.

Where is there a copy of the last Regents exam, so we can look at the
wording? Generally they used to be better than the current crop of most
state high stakes tests.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Ah, woe is me: I thought that the North-pointing end of the magnetic needle
points to the Magnetic north pole.

Brian W