[Phys-L] problems with the physics regents

Hey, I just wanted other perspectives on a few questions.
First, I teach in the North-East Bronx, and I can be pretty sure that not
one of my students knows what Shuffleboard is. I'm forty and I don't think
I have seen shuffleboard since grade school (question 11).

Second, I taught electromagnetism to my kids and I think they all (or most)
got question 30 correct but that topic has not been on any regents exams
since the 2002 new format. Am I right on that? Pretty unfair to students
who's teachers may not have taught it. I had one girl that was in my
non-regents class take the regents because she was doing so well all year
but did not want to switch her schedule. I never taught her class that
topic.

Third, not everyone know the size of a football field. It may seem silly
but I have had kids new in the country from Mongolia, that now nothing
about such things.

Forth, I have a problem with question 48. The Earth has the North Magnetic
Pole on the top and South on the bottom. Now it was a trick question and
I'll bet my kids (and probably some teachers) did not even read it and just
answered 3 (North to South). But if the question said Magnetic Field
wouldn't the answer be (4) because the South pole is a North magnetic pole?

Thanks,
Mike Barr

--
*Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail*