Re: [Phys-L] problems with the physics regents

On 6/13/2012 8:02 PM, Michael Barr wrote:
Forth, I have a problem with question 48. The Earth has the North Magnetic
Pole on the top and South on the bottom. Now it was a trick question and
I'll bet my kids (and probably some teachers) did not even read it and just
answered 3 (North to South). But if the question said Magnetic Field
wouldn't the answer be (4) because the South pole is a North magnetic pole?

Last year, I surveyed enough of the literature to determine for myself
that the terms "north magnetic pole" and "magnetic north pole" seem to
be used to refer to the mangetic pole at either geographic end of the
Earth. There does not appear to be much consistency.

I point this out to my students--that they should assume that the
terminology is unhelpful and they need to figure out what is meant from
context.

--
Jeff Bigler
Lynn English HS; Lynn, MA, USA