Re: [Phys-L] problems with the physics regents

Unfortunately there is no way to actually assess whether or not the Regents
in question has bad questions without the original text. On the
http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/regentsexams.htm site the latest physics exams are
2010, so we might have to wait for 2 years before getting access to the
questionable questions.

And yes, reply in haste repent in leisure. One often does refer to the
magnetic N pole as the one in the Arctic. So the way I would normally
phrase this type of question is "The Earth acts as if it has a bar magnet
inside it. Which end of the bar magnet is in the Arctic or North polar
region of the US, A magnetic N pole or magnetic S pole? Explain your
reasoning." This business of N seeking is confusing to say the least. Why
crud up the discussion with extra terms to be memorized when you can just
use the terms N and S pole of a magnet. Then hang a bar magnet on a string
and have students look at which end is pointing N, after predicting of
course. Then ask which end of the Earth's magnet is in the Arctic.
Students are often amazed by this.

Actually the big problem is distinguishing between electrical and magnetic
forces. Students confuse them and will label magnets as + and -. They also
think that magnets pic up all metals. And despite having chemistry they
think that tin cans are made of tin. What do they teach them nowadays?
Minds on Physics has it right by covering all common fundamental forces
together, electrical, magnetic, gravitational. Then students have to
distinguish between the characteristics of them, and the terminology.

So did the question ask which end of the internal magnet is in the North? I
realize that recalling the exact question is usually impossible without an
eidetic memory, or having written down the questions. Incidentally many
cognitive scientists claim that a true eidetic memory is impossible, and
that would seem to be confirmed by the fact that we remember only pieces of
things, and then fill in all the rest with plausible details. See the
Wikipedia article on this.

So unless we have the actual questions, this discussion might need to be
deferred for 2 years.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX