Re: [Phys-l] Climate skeptic convinced by data. Was: Re: Mike Mann _The hockey stick and the climate wars_

At 1:33 PM -0700 2/18/12, John Denker wrote:

I'm sorry to pick out one sentence that I don't entirely agree
with, but here goes:

it is probable that at least much of the
change can be mitigated by increasing the earth's albedo, which is a
bit of geoengineering that we can do and probably can control.

The "control" part is still open to question.

I don't disagree with JD's quibble about my comment on albedo change as a controllable bit of geoengineering. I probably should have use the adjective "possible" instead of probable. In general, I am not a fan of the approach to solving the problem by geoengineering. It is a dangerous game and controlling it will probably be more difficult that anyone realizes.

What I had in mind when I made the remark are things like Art Rosenfeld's "White Roofs" project (Google it if you're not familiar with it). If we can make small changes in the earth's albedo with projects like that, we may be able to have some effect on global warming, but it isn't certain that it can have a measurable global effect, although Rosenfeld's calculations show that it can certainly have local effects when well-implemented. I'm sure there are other projects like white roofs that could have additional effects like this, although I have no examples at hand at the moment. Big projects like lower CO2 emissions amount in a practical way to geoengineering although they usually don't get included in that category, primarily, I assume, due to the fact that they are, from a climate POV, "passive" instead of "active" (like the space-shades at the LaGrange point between the earth and the sun), or seeding the atmosphere with CO2-absorbent chemicals.

Doing things like reducing GHG emissions don't change the earth's albedo (as I understand the meaning of that word) because the greenhouse process is not strictly a reflectivity alteration, even though its effect is functionally the same--that is, attempting to restore the energy balance between the sun and the earth by increasing the fraction of solar energy which is ultimately re-radiated into space, and thus restoring the (average) balance between incoming and outgoing radiation that is needed to keep the earth (on average) at equilibrium with its surroundings.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948