Re: [Phys-l] Climate skeptic convinced by data. Was: Re: Mike Mann _The hockey

At 3:59 PM -0500 2/18/12, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
But
since the main cause of global warming is the Sun, then these laws are
really meaningless.

The problem here is that the total effect of the sun on the earth's overall temperature is being conflated with the marginal effect of other influences.

The sun is responsible for the fact that the earth is not a ball of ice (also, due in part to the residual heat from the earth's formation and the heat released by the radioactivity within the earth). But once that equilibrium is reached (or approximately reached), other, smaller effects can certainly have effects of the magnitude that we see today. Climatologists and geophysicists have repeatedly made calculations of the effect of the routinely observed changes int he radiation from the sun and have concluded that these very small fluctuations in solar output (and the earth's orbit and its axial inclination) have effects that are a small fraction of the effects that are found in the changes to the greenhouse that water vapor in our atmosphere causes (that keeps the earth's temperature generally above freezing). After all, we are talking about and earth that, in the absence of our atmosphere would have a temperature of about 260 K. The greenhouse effect of the water vapor in our atmosphere raises the temperature to about 285 K, and the increasing level of CO2 and other GHGs in the atmosphere have, over the past century and a half caused the average temperature of the earth to rise by about 1.5 K. Other changes in the earth's temperature, caused by other effects have typically occurred over millennia or longer. Our current situation is changing on a decadal basis by small, but measureable amounts.

It is also worth mentioning that the changes often mentioned by climate change deniers, the medieval warm period and the "little ice age" were phenomena of the North Atlantic Littoral, not global effects, and could have been caused by changes in the North Atlantic Circulator. We also know that the recent leveling off of the temperature curve is at least partly due to the strong El Niño event in 1998, which, when used as the start of the recent epoch, allows a levelling effect of the temperatures. Remove the effect of the El Niño and the temperature curve is much closer to the average slope for the past 50 years. Examination of the curve over time does show that there are occasional plateaus in the curve, but they are temporary, lasting only 10-15 years at most. We cannot guarantee that the current plateau (including the 1998 El Niño) will end (making forecasts in difficult, especially about the future), but past history indicates that it will. In the meantime, there is evidence that the effects are not slowing down. Arctic summer ice is at historic lows (both surface area and volume), melting of the Greenland glaciers continues apace, and satellite pictures of the earth continue to show overall glaciation to be reducing at alarming rates.

To say that the sun drives our climate is to state the obvious, but to claim that its tiny variations are responsible for the current situation is hyperbole at best, disingenuous at worst.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948