Re: [Phys-l] Climate skeptic convinced by data. Was: Re: Mike Mann _The hockey

On 02/18/2012 01:59 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
Yes, we can't do anything about the Sun and its energy output. It affects
the Earth much more than anything humans have ever done or will ever do.

That is just plain false.

1) There is no serious doubt that the recent increase in temperature is
unprecedented over the last 1000 or 2000 years.

2) There is no serious doubt that atmospheric CO2 has recently increased.

3) There is no serious doubt that the increase in CO2 is anthropogenic.
The isotope signature gives it away.

4) There is no serious doubt that item (3) explains item (2). Since item (2)
in turn explains item (1), this means that the warming is anthropogenic.

5) The rules of science require us to consider the competing hypotheses.
The hypothesis that variation in solar output explains the variation in
temperature is utterly untenable. If you factor out the effect of the
CO2, the models predict no warming. If anything, they predict a small,
insignificant cooling.

Let's be clear: The sun explains the ballpark temperature, but it does not
explain the recent sudden warming. We have explanations for both --- just
not the /same/ explanation for both.