Re: [Phys-l] lab safety rules +- time on task +- symbolism

On 2011, Sep 13, , at 08:58, Edmiston, Mike wrote:

Hugh also described the possibility of a system with different levels of teacher. In many respects we already have this, at least around my area. I assume it is fairly common. The bottom level in our local school district is the teacher with a BA/BS only. If teachers take some graduate-level courses within their teaching field, or toward an MS in education that is for improvement of teaching (not for gaining an administrative license), then they jump to a new rank after 15 semester hours are completed. That's about half way to the MS/MA degree, and the "rank" is called "BA/BS+15." The next change in rank occurs with the earning of the MA or MS. The next change in rank is "MA/MS + 15." That's the top of the "ranks" in Bluffton, but some area schools also have a PhD rank.
,
Most if not all CA districts use a matrix. horizontally is teaching training i.e. credential only then + training units, etc. There are about eight columns (At Alisal) ending w/ PhD equiv. (IIRC, It's been a few years since I saw the Alisal district's one.)

Then vertically are the rows for years at the district.** It may be more than one year per row. It ends after may be 25 -- years. I've forgotten. I do remember GK when she was the head of the negotiating team telling me they succeeded in having (I've forgotten the term -- she's in Seattle) an extension of $500 a year for each additional year (much less than moving down the matrix). They, of course, have a CPI increase.

**At the time and for some time after Alisal hired w/ 100% transfer. They also bump one several columns equivalent for fluent Spanish. (English learners the first or second highest in the state.) GK team taught w/ a friend third grade for a time, 3 days Spanish only, three days English only.

bc