Re: [Phys-l] lab safety rules +- time on task +- symbolism

On the other hand, having merit-based raises encourages people to do things they otherwise may not
do. People should be rewarded for their efforts. A system that gives the same raise to everyone is a
system that promotes laziness. Really, I think it should be a combination of cost of living adjustments,
deserved pay equity, and merit.

At our university, raises and promotion decisions are made in the department by a committee of peers
and the department chair. The committee is elected each year by the members of the department.
We trust that they will make good decisions in these matters (else they will hear from the rest of the
department). This is all part of our annual evaluation process. The committee writes a letter to each
member of the department stating the rules under which the evaluation is occuring, their perfromance
in teaching, scholarship, and service, evaluation, and recommendations.